The cherry collection was created in 1931, a gift of Mrs. Allen K. White, Class of 1894,
in honor of Carolien Powers, Class of 1922. Two trees of 34 different varieties were
planted in a semi-circle from the Meetinghouse to the President’s House and along
Cedar Lane. The collection has evolved over the years and now contains almost 70
varieties; it also includes the Suzanne Schmidt Memorial Garden. Prunus subhirtella ‘Scott Early’ is the first to flower in the spring; the trees that soon follow keep the border
full of flowers for well over a month. It is an ideal place to compare blooms, growth
habit, and sizes of different cherry varieties. Pictured below: Prunus xyedoensis, Prunus 'Dreamcatcher'
previous tour locationnext tour location