Dedicated TreesPlanting trees in honor of special events and people has a long and rich tradition at Swarthmore College and the Scott Arboretum. The staff of the Arboretum is pleased to work with individuals interested in giving a dedicated tree to continue this tradition. This information may be helpful in your consideration and planning:
- A $1,000 minimum donation to the Arboretum is requested to establish a dedicated tree. This covers the cost of acquiring the tree, planting it, labeling it, and provides funds for future maintenance expenses.
- Trees and sites are to be selected from the Arboretum's wish list to insure that sites free of utilities are selected and desirable species are obtained.
- Your donation will be acknowledged by receipt from the Arboretum for tax purposes. Donations for dedicated trees are deductible as allowed by law.
- Dedicated trees are identified with black engraved labels which convey the tree's scientific and common names. These labels are 5" x 7". Text of your choosing may be up to 4 lines, 45 characters per line (including spaces). One line may have larger letters with a maximum of 32 characters.
- Trees acquired for dedication are typically 5-l0 feet tall; size will depend on the type of tree selected and its availability.
- If a dedicated tree dies within 2 years of being planted, it will be replaced with no additional donation. Efforts will be made to replace it in kind; however, if that type of tree is unavailable, a substitution will be made. After 2 years, if a dedicated tree dies, an additional donation will be requested to replace the tree. Dedications are for the life of the tree.
- Some species are best planted only in the spring. The planting of dedicated trees will be planned based on the best planting time. To arrange a fall planting please contact the Scott staff by July; for a spring planting please inquire by March.
- The College reserves the right to transplant or, if necessary, remove dedicated trees if required for future building efforts. The Arboretum staff will attempt to contact you to inform you about necessary changes.
- There are opportunities for more substantial giving to the Arboretum. Please contact the Scott Arboretum director if you're interested in larger garden projects and naming opportunities.
- Dedicated trees are acknowledged in the year given in our annual report, Year in Review.
- Dedication information is maintained and accessible to the public in our plant records system.
Also, learn about other ways you can support the Scott Arboretum!