- This event has passed.
Excursion: Grounds for Sculpture
October 30, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 5:30 pm$112 – $152
Difficulty level: 6*, the only way to see the entire sculpture garden is to walk it
Join fellow Scott Associates on a bus trip to this fantastic sculpture garden in Hamilton, New Jersey. We will begin our day on a plant-focused tour with Grounds for Sculpture (GFS) horticulturist Janis Napoli, then you will have time to enjoy lunch in one of their three dining options (you can go fancy at Rats Restaurant, or casual in the Van Gogh or Peacock Cafés), the afternoon will be free to wander the extensive grounds on your own. GFS was the vision of the sculptor and philanthropist J. Seward Johnson. His desire was to make contemporary sculpture accessible to people from all backgrounds. It is meant to be a place where audiences experience sculpture in a familiar, accessible, and informal setting.
The sculptures are beautifully placed among trees, shrubs, and perennials; many of the plants, in particular the conifers, are sculptures themselves. Construction on the sculpture park began in 1989 on the site of the former New Jersey State Fairgrounds; it opened to the public in 1992. The park is now exhibiting over 270 works, including sculptures by renowned artists Clement Meadmore, Anthony Caro, Beverly Pepper, Kiki Smith, and New Jersey sculptor George Segal. Julie Jenney was at GFS this spring and the grounds were flourishing – she is excited to bring a group back this fall! Bring money to buy lunch. Limit 30.
Members: $80 Non-members: $120
Register online or call 610-328-8025.
A terrific incentive to become a member! Excursions with the Scott Associates are member benefits; the non-member fee reflects the member cost of the trip plus a $40 one-year Individual Membership.
*The level of difficulty listed reflects – on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the most challenging) – the level of walking required for the trip. All registered participants must travel with the whole group; no exceptions are made to meet part way or at the destination. All parts of excursion itineraries are for registered participants only.
The Fine Print:
- Unless otherwise noted, registrations are for one adult only. Please do not bring pets, unregistered adults, or children with you to events.
- Payment is required to reserve space in a class.
- Some class sizes are limited and registrations are accepted in the order received.
- The Scott Arboretum shall not be liable in any way for any damage, injury, or loss of life or property incurred by any person in connection with these programs beyond the return of registration fees for cancellation by said date.
- The Scott Arboretum retains the right to cancel any program due to lack of enrollment or unforeseen problems.
- No refunds are available for day bus trips.